The Year of the Wedding

I'm excited about getting married. If that's not the biggest 'duh' statement of my life, well, it is, but I digress. The date draws near, now less than five months away. There is so much left to plan and sort out. Cara is moving some of her furniture when she comes to Fort Worth next month for my brother's wedding. Did I mention I'm going to Arkansas this weekend for her sister's wedding? Or what about August, when Cara's bridesmaid and my groomsman get married (to other people) in back to back weeks? I'm still holding out that another wedding will somehow happen this year that I'm not yet aware of.

2008 is officially the year of the wedding, and I am glad to offer my contribution to that effort. On October 25th, Cara and I will cross that line and start our life together. The road will wind and bump and be filled with all kinds of oddities, but I trust that God has His plan for us, and we are open to His direction. I think I say that because I mean to recognize God's overwhelming presence and movement in our relationship and the steps we've taken therein. I also say it to remain humble, and to recognize my place before Him. And, with all that said, I am excited. Excitement is a wonderful feeling and a special gift from God that we might feel and enjoy. As I've written before, I do not make the mistake of assuming life will always be exciting or that excitement is what I should strive for. Neither are true, and much of our growth in love and faith with God happens outside these times. In my excitement, however, I am encouraged and renewed in my belief that Christ will lead me in all ways at all times.

I look forward to stepping into my role as Cara's husband, lover, friend, and provider. I've no doubt that these roles will come with great challenges and a good deal of heartache. My excitement does not blind me from these truths, but arms me with the knowledge that in the trials we will face, the same joy in Christ that fuels our current excitement will also fuel our future perseverance in the face of such trials. The joy and hope of Christ is our common thread; our Rock in both calm seas and high waters. I am thankful for the calm waters of today, and on the watch for the high waters of tomorrow. But, being the present calm waters that they are, I smile, relax, and enjoy His blessing bestowed, and allow myself to get caught up in the excitement of what He's preparing for us together.