Better Than a Hallelujah...

I heard a song on the radio the other day that made me cry, which usually means it's worth sharing. It's called 'Better Than a Hallelujah', recorded by Amy Grant, written by Sarah Hall.

What a beautiful reminder of what God really wants out of us. He was big enough to give us big emotions and big thoughts, and he's wise enough to see the beauty of an honest cry from a place of pain. He became small enough to get down on our level and commune in the pain that sin brings, and he became big enough to transcend pain and death.

I still hurt, and I still have enough doubts to challenge how I know and trust God. Thankfully, he is still patient enough to walk me through my doubts, mature enough to love me through my immaturity, and loving enough to discern the pleadings I make from my points of pain as honest efforts to love him back. 

I am unable to understand why pain exists, but I recognize that sin prejudices me to blame God for my problems. When I take him at his word that he is good, and pour out my pain on him as an offering, I discover that God, along with all his peace and mercy and power and love, never moved. Only when I surrender my pride does he remove my prejudices and lead me from where I strayed, back to where he always was. Perhaps such moments really do please his ears exponentially more than our best efforts to carry a tune on Sundays.