I Can't Believe I'm Writing This...

I have not actively followed the Obama Citizenship question. I saw references to a Certificate of Live Birth, and it looks legit as far as I can tell.

What I read the other day that perplexes me is this: The new governor of Hawaii says a physical Birth Certificate (apparently better than a Certificate of Live Birth, including things like doctors signatures, etc) is on file with the state, but that he cannot release it without President Obama's consent.

If I'm understanding this question correctly, then I cannot understand why Obama has not given consent to release this record. Obama's references to the issue are usually anecdotal and accompanied with a laugh. I would love to join him in that expression, and I'm inclined to say this whole argument is ridiculous. How could the political process ever allow anyone to run for President that could not absolutely, clear or doubt, be verified as a natural-born citizen?

What irks me is that a supposed record that would squash all doubt exists with the state of Hawaii, and Obama will not consent to have the record released? The idea that Obama wasn't born in the U.S. is a hard sell, and I'm not inclined to believe it. But, that Obama won't consent to release of the actual birth certificate gives those questions power. That he won't release it tells me that either he just likes the attention or playing games with doubters, mostly republicans -- or, that he actually has something to hide.

I want to believe this is the dumbest argument ever. Why won't he let Hawaii release the document?

Am I understanding this correct? This just doesn't seem like something to throw jokes and anecdotes at if Hawaii needs only his word to put this question to rest.

I feel like I'm a broken record, but I am revolving in the wierd logic of this issue, trying to figure out how he isn't either obstinate, immature, or lying. But if he isn't doing all he can (and apparently he isn't) to end the question, then either of those seem fair game.

Assuming, of course, that I'm understanding the question correctly.

2 Comments

  • 10:46 AM | Permalink

    Hey man, here's the shortcut answer to your question. Birth certs aren't public record, and publishing one is like handing someone the keys to your life. It's something that should be kept in a safe-deposit box or a fire-proof safe under the stairs.

    Also, I think we can glean from the Republican campaign that it's a non-issue. If it were they'd have been all over that like white on me.

  • 9:44 PM | Permalink

    There are bills in several states to require showing proof of citizenship to get on the state ballot, including TX HB 295 that requires the original birth certificate be shown to the secretary of state.