Cinco de Mayo

I haven't written anything in awhile. I'm still engaged, which is great, except for not wanting to be engaged anymore. I of course mean that in a good way. I'm very excited about being near and dear to my best friend, about spending life with her.

I feel bad about something I recently said to her. I'll be sure and tell her soon, so she doesn't find out here, though since no one reads this blog I assume she'd be the first to know either way. She wants to see the movie 'Baby Mama'. I don't. Self-contained within the argument of whether that movie is worth paying for, I still believe my opinion is correct, as my opinions in my mind often are. The broader question, however, of a working relationship's need for self-sacrifice and service means my opinion, though correct within its context, exists in a context too narrow and small to serve the broader - and better - point. In short, I still think I'm right, but we'll see how far that gets me when I want to make out.

Beyond making out (which I do love so), I enjoy drawing closer to Cara, and I appreciate that I therefore get to share in activities I would never, never do myself. That's right, gents, I said 'get to', because we know there are parts of those awful chick flicks we like that we don't admit. Many are shallow, but some are actually good. Regardless, there is inherent value in sharing activities together, even those activities one party might not be drawn to individually. I'm drawn to depth of character, plot, and script. Cara is drawn to stories of two people falling in love. We are both, however, drawn to each other first, and we step into each other's realm of interest willingly and in love.

All said, God is teaching me all these new ways I can love Cara better, and in doing so honor him. I'm getting off the movie train for awhile as blog posts go, but I felt this was an appropriate chapter on the heels of my prior reviews. I'm learning that Cara and I are (gasp) different in our movie tastes, but more that we're just different people. I know God desires us to strengthen each other out of our differences, and I believe He's leading us in that way.

One Comment

  • 10:54 AM | Permalink

    I do read your blog Nathan. And most people will have different movie tastes than you do, you are kind of weird in that aspect.