Noise...

(A note to start this one off: I've been throwing away a lot of junk lately, and tonight I came across this little bit I must have written back in late-ish 2004. I still like it, so maybe that means its worth sharing.)



Noisy. So noisy - even the cars are noiser than normal. And in the one real break I get from the cars, a noisy airplane decided to fly overhead, which is not as loud as a nearby car, but still is distinct enough a noise to open up a whole new dimension of 'noisy'. Just as the plane passed, I hear a go-cart approaching - you know, one of those homemade types built by people who regard mufflers as luxury features.



Then you have Starbucks. Talk about trying to manufacture culture. You don't create culture by playing artsy music and serving overpriced coffee to people who are richer than they realize, sitting at chess tables never used for their designed purpose. You get all the look and feel of community without having to really 'do' anything particularly communal. We still don't talk to our neighbors.

... Chess tables without pieces. It's all very symbolic - like light without heat, or noise without words.


Which is more noisy?