Introduction & Silence

Welcome.

I'm brand spanking new at this blogging stuff, so I hope you can hang in there with me. I also hope there is a 'you' to hang in there at all. In fact, if anyone does end up reading whatever I put up here, I sincerely hope you will leave comments. One of the reasons I haven't done any blogging until now is due to my perception that most bloggers talk and talk and talk without really ever saying anything. I desire authentic communication, so any comments you leave really help that aim. With that...

For the past 2 ½ years, God has been teaching me about the gift of silence and the important place it has in the Christ-centered life. During this same time, He has convicted me of my personal need to enter into a 1-month period of voluntary silence. I have, of course, put off this calling, which has in turn only grown more intrusive in my life. God has His plans, and has kept pushing me and pushing me, reminding me of my need to become silent for the purpose of better understanding the role of silence, the role of listening to God and to each other, and for the purpose of better understanding what it means to communicate His love.

During the weekend circa July 31st, I felt this call yet again and finally decided to respond, which means that at the time of this posting, I have been silent for about 9 days now. I will be keeping this up until September 2nd. Let me tell you, these 9 days have been unbelievable. You see, the paragraph introducing this whole vow of silence, if you will - I wrote that the day I decided to go silent. Just reading it now, I am floored at how little idea I had of what God had (and still has) in store for my life during this month.

I've decided to document the month in this way: I will write each day in present form, only I will write it 9 days after the fact. In this way, I will have each day's thoughts better thought-out, structured, and written in a way that leads into the upcoming day. One might even call it fluid, but let's not get too ahead of ourselves.

Silence is a powerful tool that God has used to show me how dependent I must always be upon Him. Hopefully over this next month, I can communicate my exercise in silence in a way where you too realize your complete dependence upon our Loving Daddy.

One Comment

  • 11:57 PM | Permalink

    i look forward to reading it over the next month